Access to Information

Bield handle and create a huge amount of information every day. We share information that Bield customers and the public may find useful on our website –

June 2017: Public Release of Information - Use of Cladding and High Rise Developments

There are information rights that everyone is entitled to that allow you to request information that Bield may hold from us.

Data Protection

We hold personal information about you to enable us provide you with our services. Information which is about you, and from which you can be identified, is known as your "personal data".

Bield protect all personal data in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), and are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office as a data controller.

We have our own Data Protection Policy available here.

Requesting to see your personal data

You have a right under DPA to access any information held by us about you, and to have any inaccuracies corrected. A request to access your personal data is known as a "subject access request". If you would like to exercise your right to access your personal data, this must be submitted to us in writing.

All requests must include your full name and address. Proof of identity will also be required e.g. copy of passport, driving license.

Bield have the right to charge a fee of up to £10 to complete your request.

When you request your personal information from us we have 40 calendar days to respond.

If you are not happy with how we handle your request, please let us know and we will try to resolve your complaint. If you are still not happy, you should contact the Information Commissioner's Office.

Environmental Information Regulations

You have the right to request environmental information from Scottish public authorities.

Requests can be made under the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs) and they work in a similar way to Freedom of Information requests, even though Bield are not subject to Freedom of Information (Scotland) Regulations.

You can make an EIR request or request assistance to make a request by contacting our Information Management Officer via the contact details below.

When you request environmental information from us, we will provide it to you within 20 working days.

Charges may apply if you request a lot of information or if the information would take us a long time to produce. Our Schedule of Charges is available here.

Occasionally there will be reasons why we cannot provide the information you have requested. If that is the case we will tell you why.

You can challenge our decision and ask us to review our response. If you are unhappy after the review, you can appeal directly to the Scottish Information Commissioner.

The Scottish Information Commissioner
Kinburn Castle
Doubledykes Road
St Andrews, Fife
KY16 9DS

01334 464610

Other Requests for Information

Bield as a Housing Association are not subject to the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. To ensure we operate in an open and transparent manner we will consider reasonable requests for information that do not fall under Data Protection or Environmental Information under our Openness and Confidentiality policy.


If you have any queries regarding your rights to access information from Bield or to make a request, please contact our Information Management Officer.


Information Management Officer
Bield Housing & Care
79 Hopetoun Street

Telephone: 0131 273 4000